Subject: Re: What precautions should be taken before turning on an old pin?
From: [email-masked] (Britt Brooks)
Date: 18 Jun 1996 10:01:54 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball

In article <[email-masked]> Eric Weigand <[email-masked]> writes:
>I just bought a Black Hole for the nice price of $75.  I'd like to get it
>up and running without damaging it. Please list anything that should be
>done before the first time I plug it in.
>
>ANY info greatly appreciated. This is my first pinball machine. I will
>not take offense with any advice, so offer anything at all no matter how
>obvious or simple. (Just be nice!)
>
>Thanks,
>-eric

Eric,

The Pinball Lizard has a list of 43 items to refurbish an old pin. The
first 33 are all performed BEFORE you turn on the power. Here is the list:

0.) Do not apply power until completing the first 33 items on this list.
1.) Pick up all loose items in the bottom of the cabinet and save in the
    coin box - important history.
2.) Blow out the cabinet with compressed air (do outdoors if possible).
3.) Vacuum everything inside the game with a shop vacuum. Use a 2" paint
    brush as a dusting brush
4.) Check the 3-prong power cord plug. Replace if missing the 3rd prong or
    if otherwise damaged.
5.) Inspect the entire length of the power cord. Replace if damaged. Use
    18-3 power cord, 14' long.
6.) Remove and inspect all fuses one at a time, check for correct value and
    type. Clean and reinstall.
7.) Remove battery(s), measure voltage, discard or save for reinstallation
8.) Remove all circuit boards, inspect for obvious damage, blow off dirt.
    (Do NOT vacuum! Static damage!).
9.) Resolder all header pins on the circuit boards. Clean off solder flux
    with alcohol and a toothbrush.
10.) Carefully remove all socketed chips, inspect and straighten any bent pins
     and reinsert correctly.
11.) Inspect circuit boards for bent, burned, missing or otherwise damaged
     components.
12.) Inspect circuit boards for previous repairs. Suspect poorly done previous
     repair work.
13.) Install new batteries and label with the date.
14.) Protect against expensive CPU board damage. Remount the batteries off
     board.
15.) Reinstall all circuit boards.
16.) Remove all display units and clean (Resolder Bally Display Unit header
     pins).
17.) Inspect power supply connectore for burned pins and replace pins and
     housings if damaged.
18.) Inspect all wiring for burned or damaged sections. Repair/replace if 
     needed.
19.) Replace all #44 lamps with #47 lamps. Power supplies will consume 40%
     less power.
20.) Clean and inspect the top side of the playfield, replace lamps with
     #47 type, repair any broken parts, etc.
21.) Invert the playfield to the service position and inspect for broken
     wires, burned/siezed coils, other damage.
22.) Replace all lamps on the bottom side of the playfield with #47 lamps.
23.) Clean and adjust all playfield switches, both on top and bottom of the
     playfield.
24.) Operate by hand all moveable linkages to ensure they do not bind.
25.) Rebuild Pop bumper units as needed (minor to major overhaul).
26.) Rebuild flipper assemblies as needed (minor to major overhaul).
27.) Clean and lubricate drop target assemblies (minor to major overhaul).
28.) Reinstall circuit board connectors, plugging connectors on and off 5
     times to clean (Do NOT use spray solvents).
29.) Inspect the ground braid with a DVM connected to the 3rd prong of the
     power plug. Repair as needed.
30.) Clean the playfield, flatten plastic light shields, replace rubber rings,
     replace lamps with #47's.
31.) Inspect ball(s) for damage, replace as needed, put correct number of
     balls in the game.
32.) Check ON/OFF switch with DVM and verify it is OFF. Plug in to a grounded
     outlet only.
33.) Disconnect power supply output connectors and turn game ON. Test output
     voltages.
34.) If voltages are OK, turn game OFF and reconnect the power supply
     connectors.
35.) Connect a DVM to the high voltage test piont (Bally only).
36.) Observe the fuses while turning the power switch ON. Watch for a
     flash (FLASH=bad!).
37.) Adjust the display high voltage on Bally and Gottlieb System 1. Only test
     voltage on Gottlieb 80 and Williams.
38.) Test all other voltages for correct values while in normal operating
     mode.
39.) If game did not boot, refer to specific troubleshooting information for
     that brand of game.
40.) If game booted, try coin switches inside door to add credits.
41.) Test game sequencing of the ball. Does the outhole work? Counts 3 or 5
     balls? Goes to Game Over?
42.) Perform diagnostic tests. Varies by game brand. Refer to Instruction
     manual.
43.) Refer to game specific troubleshooting guides for failed lamps, 
     solenoids, etc.

Now, the list is quite exhasutive, but I find using it quite easy. I always
seem to forget one thing or another.

Thanks to the Pinball Lizard for documenting this process and presenting it
at the Expo last year. It was quite informative.

Happy Flipping!

Britt Brooks
[email-masked]