Subject: The Arcade Games Folklore/Nostalgia List
From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Deitch)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 93 23:36:41 EST
Newsgroups: rec.games.video.arcade

This file is a compilation of recent RGVA posts on 'Easter Eggs' and other
nifty stuff programmed into older games as well as high level thingies only
the wizards ever get to see.  Please feel free to email me any additions you
feel should be in this file.  Email additions to [email-masked].

(Note ... I had several more posts, but they hit the bit bucket when my UUCP
 feed got scrambled ... I really *do* need additions to this file ... - JND)
=============================================================================

[email-masked] writes:

>While on the subject, I miss those nifty game features which you could
>only see if you were really good.  The kind of things that most people
>would never see and often crossed the line into folklore.
>
>Examples:
>     - the recognizers and solar sailor in Tron
>     - the invisible levels in Tempest
>     - the higher-level bonus fruits in Pac-Man (bells, keys, etc.)
>     - the invisible and invisible reverse gravity universes in
>       Gravitar

If we're including fiction, I would add the gold and silver bars of Pac-man,
which *do not* exist.

Personally, though, I would like to nominate the "The End" screen of Crystal
Castles.  I'm not sure if it qualifies, though;  how many people have reached
it?  Even if it doesn't qualify, I think what does qualify is the bizarre
"insane" scattering of random parallelograms on the screen that occurs if you
finish a game with a score of 700,000 or more.

    VGR

Another message from the RGVA Mailserver located at [email-masked] !

--  
 Internet: [email-masked]      Fidonet: Jonathan Deitch@1:133/411.7
           [email-masked]   Bellnet: 1 - (404) - 261 - 3665           
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atlanta 1996 !! | Play Pinball !! | Don't Panic ! | "I hate it when I can't
--------------------------------------------------| trust my own technology!"
"Thrills!  Chills!  Magic!  Prizes!" -- Hurricane |    -- Geordi LaForge

Gene Roddenberry, Isaac Asimov, Jim Henson, Dr. Seuss, Mel Blanc ... Sigh ...